CryoTherapeutics is an early stage European innovator developing a catheter for use by interventional cardiologists to treat atherosclerotic plaque that causes heart attack by delivering cryoenergy to the coronary arteries. We are aiming to use our technology initially to treat patients that have already had a heart attack. These are patients that are also at highest risk of having a second heart attack in the future. We also aim in the future to use our technology to prevent heart attacks from occurring.
FIELD OF ACTIVITY
The business of the company is to develop and market the novel cryoenergy therapy initially for patients that have suffered a heart attack, and in the longer term also for patients identified by diagnostic methods as being at risk of heart attack sometime in the future. Current activities are aimed at completing clinical device development, and carrying out a first-in-man clinical evaluation following which we would complete further clinical studies for approval and launch of the technology onto the market, initially in Europe. By achieving these goals we aim to become a major participant in the market for minimally invasive treatment of coronary artery disease.
- Cardiovascular disease is the biggest killer in the developed world
- EU 1.6m, US 1.25million heart attacks per year
- Inflamed plaque in coronary arteries is major cause of heart attack and majority occur in patients whose stenosis is not severe, therefore hard to diagnose at-risk patients
- Use of stents to treat heart attack can be problematic and not ideal
- A stent is an implant intended as scaffold for severely stenosed vessels (angina) and not for these partially narrowed vessels common in many heart attack patients
- Use of stent s is associated with risk of restenosis and thrombosis with delayed healing and aggressive, costly, long term drug (antiplatelet) therapy
- CryoTherapeutics is developing a treatment for use by interventional cardiologists to address these problems